Parent Child Relationships
There are many cases when modeling a system, where we come across a parent-child relationship. See the below examples:
The eBMS Platform supports a simple hierarchical relationship where each Record may have a single Parent Record.
There are several controls specifically designed for helping users manage these relationships:
Linked eForm Record Button
This is the simplest of the three. All it can do is create a single child record, of a given eForm Design. It has the option to only ever create a single record. This can be good in situations where the child is actually a sub-category of the parent. E.g. You might separate out the OHS components of a Contract into a child. There should only be one set of OHS information, hence only one child.
Child Linked eForm Record Table
This is perhaps the most common of the three. This table allows users to add multiple children.
Some common applications:
- Adding a contact person to a customer record
- Adding an entry to a service log
- Adding an OHS inspection to a contract
The Parent Link gives the user access to the parent from the child. When a parent is selected, you can use this link to navigate to the parent. If enabled, a user can also use it to change the parent of a record, by clicking on the circle icon on the left of the control.
- Create a eForm named Customer and an eForm named Customer Contact Person
- Open the Customer form in the eForm Designer
- Insert a Child Linked eForm Record Table (remember you have to select where to put it first)
- To make the table functional, you will need to choose what eForm Design you want children to be by setting its eForm property in the Property Grid
- Adjust the size of the table as you want.
- Save your changes.
- Go to the eForms page and raise a customer record.
- You will be able to raise more than one contact in one customer record.